Skool Daze

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Skool Daze

Post by Godzil »

Chema stricke back to make Skool Daze even better on the oric:

https://twitter.com/michaelberry/status ... 0601637888

So when will the 3D version will be available ? ;)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Ha ha it looks great with that 3D touch!

Can't think how such thing could be done in an Oric with its limited color system.

I always loved this game, it doesn't surprise me how many tributes it has...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Wow .. these look amazing .. I wonder if there's a render engine that will produce these voxel views on a running emulator? I'd love to try it out ..
SkoolKid
1st Star Corporal

Skool Daze C64 disassembly

Post by SkoolKid »

I didn't want to start another thread, because this has nothing to do with the Oric, but it does have something to do with Skool Daze and the 6502, so here it is.

The complete Skool Daze C64 disassembly

Last year I decided to give sk6502 (SkoolKit components for 6502 disassembly) a workout by reverse engineering the Commodore 64 version of Skool Daze, and this is the result.

Hopefully there are not too many mistakes - I sort of learned the ins and outs of 6502 assembly on the job, not to mention how the Commodore 64 actually works, having never owned or used one before. Anyway, please enjoy it or ignore it, according to taste. :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Whoa, that is truly an amazing amount of work .. well done! Guess I'm gonna have to learn a lot more about C64 internals now ..
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Another incredible work! Thanks so much!!!
Kon
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Kon »

The first piece of software I added to my Erebus was Chema's amazing version of Skool Daze for the Oric!

I can confirm it's fully working and looks incredible on a real Oric Atmos.

Now, I've got to get over to the Map Room quick for Geography before Withit comes looking for me... :D
image_2021-02-10_153632.png
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Oh, thank you so much for your kind words! I love this game, but it is not for everybody. I has this sandbox nature with a lot of interactivity that was rarely found on games at that time. You could sit on the stairs. And you'd get lines for it! :D

One thing, remember you can press 'c' to change the color scheme, black/white, AIC with yellow/cyan alternating and AIC green/cyan alternating (if I remember correctly). Just in case you dislike the AIC colouring.
Kon
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Kon »

I didn't know about the colour options! I'll have to experiment with that.

I love the sandbox feel of Skool Daze as well. Hours of amusement of messing round and getting Einstein into trouble.

I've read interviews with the original programmer, Dave Reidy, who seems mildly amused by the fact that people are still playing and talking about this game. I think some of the 8-bit programmers didn't realize the full extent of their achievements!