Skool Daze

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Chema
Game master

Re: Skool Daze

Post by Chema »

(Continued)
See that window? We can make it look like a bit light blue (as if we could see the sky through it). The method is simple: just complement (set the 1's to zeros and vice versa) and set the inverse bit on the scans with yellow ink and you'll have this:
window.png
window.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 26077 times
Looks better, doesn't it?

You can play with these a bit more, for instance to give colors to the shields. I am using several different combinations (inversing just odd, just even or both scans, for instance). You get quite nice results after some testing, try to figure out which combination was used in each of these:
shields.png
shields.png (589 Bytes) Viewed 26077 times
And you can also get white color (the inverse of black) of course. For instance my speech bubbles. They are drawn as black bubbles with white borders, and the text is written in white. Just set the inverse bit and you get this:
bubblecolor.png
bubblecolor.png (1.78 KiB) Viewed 26077 times
(The lines box is setting the inverse bit on a white box with black text)

Sure you can imagine more combinations and effects. Have a look at the Skool Daze screenshots (the red-ish roof, the outside dark-bluish windows, the bookshelves...). The best of all this is that you store the color information within the graphic itself (as it is the inverse bit), not needing additional info, and that you get very little colour clash. Of course it needs experimentation to get decent results. HIDE is an excellent tool for this, I suggest you play with it if you want to obtain colorful graphics.

Masking a sprite is a bit more difficult (you surely understand now better the code on my first posts), but the result is worthit.

And if you feel your eyes need resting, just remove the attributes of the first column, and you'll have neat b&w graphics on the fly!

I hope this is now clearer and people start experimenting with this to get the awesome results we are used to watch in Twilighte's games!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Well, after some delays the Oric version of Skool Daze is finally available!

Due to the restrictions imposed by Alternative Software, we cannot offer a direct link. You will only be able to download it from oric.org (http://www.oric.org/index.php?page=soft ... m_log=2215), where you will need to register to access the files, as you all know.

Please do not put the files for downloading anywhere else, remember AS has the rights to ask us to remove the game at any time, so keep this in mind.

Just one important note while Dbug updates the official page skooldaze.defence-force.org, there is a readme file which contains important instructions. Please take a look at it in the Stuff section.

Report any bugs or comments, as usual, in this forum or by emailing me.

Remember that AS has an excellent version of the original spectrum version of this game available for iOS, with dedicated controls and many many extras. Check it out:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skool-da ... 85802?mt=8

Happy playing :)
SkoolKid
1st Star Corporal

Post by SkoolKid »

Chema wrote:Well, after some delays the Oric version of Skool Daze is finally available!
Excellent! I'll be checking this out some time soon.

In other news, Dave Reidy has given permission to World of Spectrum to host all of Microsphere's games. Interestingly, in the permission statement he points out that the copyright remains with the original game developers (i.e. him and Keith Warrington), so I wonder under what terms AS is allowed to distribute the games, or to deny distribution of derivative works.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Well, I suppose they both share the rights somehow. When I was about to release the game (months ago) Dbug told me about the iOS version from Elite systems and, after some websearch, we found out (I think Dbug found out, to be precise) that Alternative Software seemed to have the rights.

I sent them an email, and they confirmed this point.

Anyway, it seems there is no problem while this is kept within the Oric community, and does not interfere with their sales of the iOS version *fingers crossed*

Don't hesitate to comment on the game, bugs, improvements, etc. All that feedback is important to me.

Cheers.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

The game is cool - spent an hour playing it today. I have nothing to say other than its bloody brilliant! :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

If anybody plays on a real Atmos and tries to use the pregenerated fast loading wav file, please let me know if it worked or not.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'll set up an Atmos on the weekend and give it a whirl. Maybe also the Telestrat ..
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Well explained given the potential of AIC mode Chema.
To me AIC mode is the only future for Oric graphics.
It offers the best colour scheme, best resolution and best flexibility.

As I believe the cover art for Impossible Mission illustrated it also works well on a large canvas.
I also wonder if it could be implemented into Dbug's Pictconv utility ?
kamelito
Flying Officer

Post by kamelito »

Twilighte wrote:Well explained given the potential of AIC mode Chema.
To me AIC mode is the only future for Oric graphics.
It offers the best colour scheme, best resolution and best flexibility.

As I believe the cover art for Impossible Mission illustrated it also works well on a large canvas.
I also wonder if it could be implemented into Dbug's Pictconv utility ?
is this AIC mode ever used back in the day?
if you set the inverse mode then the background is also changing color, to make it black do you print the character in inverse? (ie every 1 become zero and vice versa)

update : I think I got it since I set inverted mode then if I want black background I've to set it to white inverted 128+23 and voila.
test was 48000 set to 1 (red) 48001 set to 128+23 and 48002 set to 128+65 to display a light blue A.

Kamelito
Last edited by kamelito on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Twilighte wrote:I also wonder if it could be implemented into Dbug's Pictconv utility ?
I guess it depends of what you mean by implementing that.
Technically if you try to convert one of your screenshots, then PictConv will most probably succeed converting it, because it will try the inverse video, and all the combinations of ink and paper until it manages.

What would be possible is to add a mode where the user provide the base paper/ink colors to use on alternating lines and then let PictConv tries its best to map some random picture, but I'm not sure that would give very good results.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I tried to download the game into a real Atmos with a 11khz wavefile with Windows Media Player (not with audacity,the result is too bad :( ) The volume level is 70 percent.
The result is sooo nice ! :D
¡mucho gracias Chema!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Thanks to you for trying (and posting!).

I really hope you enjoy the game. I've always loved it (played *a lot* in the speccy version). It is not as difficult as it might seem, and it is quite rich and fun, with a lot of freedom and unexpected events.

BTW, you loaded it by generating a wav from the tap file with tap2wav? Tried the ultra fast loading version (only available for Atmos)?
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Hello Chema
I used TAP2WAV to convert SchoolDaze file but TAP2CD did not work with ScubaDive file (frozen main screen) with a real CD because I suppose it was the old version.
I would like to use an old "walkman" cd player to connect the real ORIC.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

If you are using the old version of tap2cd, it could be the reason indeed. I cannot remember if skuba dive has any custom loader or something that may disturb tap2cd. But the old version has problems with some hardware, and may not signal loading errors. Try the new one here in DF.

Also you can try the pregenerated wav with skool daze, it loads the ga,e in less than one minute :)
SkoolKid
1st Star Corporal

Post by SkoolKid »

Back on the subject of copyright and licensing and whatnot, I was just wondering whether, given the recent revelations about Elite's treatment of Spectrum game developers, anyone's considered removing mention of them from the Skool Daze page? If the revelations are true, Elite doesn't deserve the advertisement.

Keyboards, Kickstarter and Copyright Law: Elite Systems under fire
Elite Kickstarter Project (World of Spectrum forums)