Space:1999 feedback and review thread

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
maximus
Flying Officer

Re: Space:1999 feedback and review thread

Post by maximus »

Oki i understand, i don't had floppy drive, my only way to load game in real oric is wav files using my PC as a tape recorder , it s so hard for the ears :mrgreen:
Last edited by maximus on Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Ah I see.. Well most of the games I worked in won't work without a disk drive (pinforic, Space:1999 and 1337), that is why I did my best to keep SkoolDaze tape based!

BTW, if you try loading SkoolDaze from the fast wav file you can download from oric.org (it should load in a bit more than 40 seconds :) ), please let me know if it worked ok for you.

Cheers
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Hello Chema
I made a WAV file of SchoolDaze with TAP2WAV converter (option 8Khz and 11Khz ) without success, however the loading works correctly with Stormlord.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

kenneth wrote:Hello Chema
I made a WAV file of SchoolDaze with TAP2WAV converter (option 8Khz and 11Khz ) without success, however the loading works correctly with Stormlord.
I had a similar issue on my Pravetz, worked in slow mode, not in fast mode.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

thanks for fast answers

Chema: i tried skooldaze but i understood nothing :mrgreen: i prefer 1337 or Space99

About disk: never forget that many fans don't have a rare floppy drive, it's so rare

If there is a way to use a classical floppy drive instead of jasmin or microdisk, please make a tutorial for dummies :wink:
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote:
kenneth wrote:Hello Chema
I had a similar issue on my Pravetz, worked in slow mode, not in fast mode.
Well there is an issue with tap2cd, you know. It does not work with all Orics. The per-converted wav with fast load solves this, but does not work with the Pravetz or Oric-1. I have the sources of a tap2cd which should work for Pravetz too, but it should be Fabrice who releases it.

What is strange is that the wav converted with tap2wav does not work... What is happening? Loading errors?, not auto starting?, which Oric do you have?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

maximus wrote:thanks for fast answers

Chema: i tried skooldaze but i understood nothing :mrgreen: i prefer 1337 or Space99

About disk: never forget that many fans don't have a rare floppy drive, it's so rare

If there is a way to use a classical floppy drive instead of jasmin or microdisk, please make a tutorial for dummies :wink:
So I assume it loaded?, anyway what do you mean by classical floppies?
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

I played skooldaze with emulator (Linux/euphoric) not in the real machine.

Classical floppy is the 3p1/2 used in PC during years

And what about an USB port for Oric, is it possible ?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

maximus wrote:I played skooldaze with emulator (Linux/euphoric) not in the real machine.

Classical floppy is the 3p1/2 used in PC during years

And what about an USB port for Oric, is it possible ?
But the floppy drive is not the problem. A PC disk drive will work. The problem is the controller, which is what is difficult to find. Microdisc or Jasmin drives include the controller and a common 3inch drive. You can replace the drive, but the issue is still the controller. You cannot use a PC controller.

If only the Cumulus project had seen the light...
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

Arggg lucky men with Jasmin or microdisc, but they will not work eternally, so i hope that great technicians will find solutions like using a hard disk or USB key, or creating this controller.

So i have to continue with WAV files to load games in real machine. Slow, noisy & with errors, you're really in 1983 :mrgreen:
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

I think this game is brilliant but I can only emulate this one for now until Cumulus arrives :(
Seeing that Oricium has been "Sizzled" by Retrogamer magazine has anyone pointed out to them this game exists as well???
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I guess they already know about Space:1999... it is quite an old game; and they surely know about 1337 and the rest (a screenshot of Stormlord appears just below the review of Oricium in a small brief about colors in old 8-bit systems).

BTW I am really glad that you like Space:1999. It could be enhanced quite a lot, technically speaking, as it was my first project, but I love the atmosphere of the game.

Thanks!
Vyper68
Flying Officer

Post by Vyper68 »

Chema wrote:I guess they already know about Space:1999... it is quite an old game; and they surely know about 1337 and the rest (a screenshot of Stormlord appears just below the review of Oricium in a small brief about colors in old 8-bit systems).

BTW I am really glad that you like Space:1999. It could be enhanced quite a lot, technically speaking, as it was my first project, but I love the atmosphere of the game.

Thanks!
OK, I haven't got my copy of Retrogamer yet as I get the iPad version. So I cannot see the actual article/review. :D
Oric Extended Basic V1.1
(C) 1983 Tangerine
37631 Bytes Free
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Chema wrote:BTW I am really glad that you like Space:1999. It could be enhanced quite a lot, technically speaking, as it was my first project, but I love the atmosphere of the game.
Just make a Space:1999+1 "Director's Cut HD Remix" version :)
JonB
Officer Cadet

Post by JonB »

Microdrives!

Will it run on a Cumulus?