Can anyone fix this game?

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Can anyone fix this game?

Post by Antiriad2097 »

http://www.2shared.com/file/HbK5nLrt/mimic.html

At the start of secondary school (high school for some I guess, from about age 12-16) in the 80s, I was in class with a lad called Hamish Imlach.

Hamish was a nice boy and happened to also be an Oric Owner like myself.

We weren't terribly close friends, but we shared a little time together due to our common interest.

During that period, Hamish wrote a game. This is it.

Mimic Mimer is, as the title suggests, a platform game with an obvious inspiration. While its nowhere near that league being a BASIC game iirc, I do have a certain amount of nostalgia for it.

I dug out the tape last weekend and thought I'd have a bash at transferring it to PC.

So far so good.

It loads the first bit, does the character edit for the graphics, displays the title screen... then crashes just before we get into the game.

I'd love to see this up and running again, but as it is this just locks up after crashing so I'm a bit stumped. Any experts care to have a stab at it?
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi,

I'll take a look at it and see what the issue could be.

Cheers
Scott
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Seems there are lots of transfer errors in the last part of the program, around line 13000 and further. You can see some characters are replaced by basic tokens when listing the program, which when run displays a "syntax error in 13026" and stops.

Have you been using wav2tap ? Did it display parity errors ?

You should try transferring the last part again, if you don't manage to transfer it without errors I'll give it a try - you'll need to send me a 44khz, 8 bits, stereo (much better) WAV file ;-)
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Ok, I can give that a try. I recorded the wav file in mono as I used the original tape deck it was recorded on, which is an old mono deck.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Mono is not a problem, but the advantage of reording the WAV file in stereo stereo is that it provides 2 channels, so 2 different sources. If one channel has been damaged and gives errors, the 2nd may be intact.
So if your new attempt in mono still gives errors, I suggest you to try with a stereo tape deck.

If both channels are bad, then you can try to make lots of recordings and transfers (quite boring), hoping some errors might be corrected in some attempt (this happens). Then list the X versions of your program and try to rebuild the listing by being logic - it's sometimes easy in Basic.

You should also check if there are no errors in the previous parts, especially if there's some machine code or graphics.

Welcome to the hell of damaged tape transfers ;-)