A Twilighte game on You tube at last

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Twilighte
Game master

A Twilighte game on You tube at last

Post by Twilighte »

Due to Xerons wonderful Oricutron i have been pursuaded by Dbug to take a moment out to record a session of my old game Magnetix and upload to You tube for all to goggle at :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r2zA1ZzAII

More uploads soon...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Nice one! I don't quite understand how you managed to get the colors going in the HUD like that, though .. Doesn't seem to me like thats possible without color-clash of the attribute bytes, but I've seen this in a lot of your software for the Oric and I still don't quite understand it .. I would've really loved knowing that was possible back in the good ol' days ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I perfectly understand the tech behind, but I have to admit that I still don't understand the game :D

Zip'n Zap, yes, Pulsoids, yes, Magnetix, no :D
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Thanks for this post !
I've discovered with it a wonderful game. I will try it as soon as possible on Euphoric to start ... may be on my real oric later.

:)
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Dbug wrote:I perfectly understand the tech behind, but I have to admit that I still don't understand the game :D

Zip'n Zap, yes, Pulsoids, yes, Magnetix, no :D
hehe, same as many people i suspect.
You are essentially an intergalactic maintenance engineer :)

Within each complex are stored these devices. Each one generates an EMF (Electro motive force) which the propriaters use to power their cities.
However they work most efficiently when they are joined together in a large block. In fact on the first level you can see this block of devices with only one row of blocks misalligned.
This link they have to one another goes beyond just enhancing the EMF output. Certain devices are magnetically linked to other devices somewhere else in the complex. This means you may find moving one device right won't happen until the passage the device it's magnetically linked to is cleared :P

Unfortunately over a long time (couple of million years) the devices have separated (due mostly to the bugs that have crept in and which play havoc during gameplay). Crystals have also formed (mostly adjacent to the devices or to walls. Fortunately the crystals are prized by many cultures and credit can be accrued simply by collecting them.

For maintenance purposes, the complex is littered with undocumented teleports (these are described better in the Magnetix instructions) which help the engineer(you) get around the complex).

Once Devices have all been pushed back into the 'collective' or block then they are running at maximum output and you've done your job. All you must do now is get to a teleport. The screen will fade and you'll advance to the next area (or level).

Fire works like R-Type in that the longer you hold the fire button down the longer the top bar extends. Each segment of this indicates a different weapon. So the maximum (i think) will destroy all the bugs on the screen but just tapping the fire button will change all the bugs to homers.

Hope this helps?