1337: Contest for musicians out there!

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Chema
Game master

1337: Contest for musicians out there!

Post by Chema »

Ok. Dbug suggested this and I think it is an extremely good idea.

I would need a tune that could be played when the commander is docked on a planet. It needs to be soft, nice and should not produce a headache.

As I am terrible with music, why not open a contest?

Take WAVE (Twi's fantastic music editor) and compose something that fits in less than 2K when compiled. Then post a link here or send it to me at enguita(at)gmail(dotcom).

The winner will receive honours, credits in the game and maybe a beta to test the game before anybody else will!!!

I won't give deadlines, but don't wait for months, or you'll risk to lose your opportunity.

Prove your skills with music! Show the community what you can do!
Participate in the creation of the game!

Cheers
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Sorry guys, forgot to say it must be WAVE 1, not WAVE 2... so no SIDs, pitchbends and all those nice effects :(

Anybody interested?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I'm definitely interested, I just need some way to get WAVE 1 on my ATMOS and so on .. ;)
carlsson
Pilot Officer

Post by carlsson »

Are you only interested in original tunes or will covers also do?
Anders Carlsson
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

ibisum wrote:I'm definitely interested, I just need some way to get WAVE 1 on my ATMOS and so on .. ;)
You can use Euphoric also :)

carlsson wrote:Are you only interested in original tunes or will covers also do?
Anything interesting will do. Covers, original tunes, adaptations, copies... :)

Just rememebr it is to be heard while docked, and that is quite a lot of time, so should be repeated in a loop and still not sound boring ;)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Unfortunately I don't have Euphoric running anywhere that sound also works (no Windows boxes in my house), but I'll try to get things working for a little demo ..
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Mmmm... may I suggest DosBox+Euphoric? That is the most versatile, accurate and complete emulation you can get for now... until oriculator and caloric finish their development stage.

Definite worth to have such a configuration even only for running programs of our old Oric :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Yeah I will have to spend some time trying to get it working with sound .. haven't been able to do that with my Linux workstation so far.

But you know what I really want? To use my Atmos with a microdrive. That would really, really make me happy .. I'd especially like to be able to load it up with apps and the C compiler and return to Atmos hacking in style. One day, I hope, I'll get a microdrive .. in the meantime, yeah.. I guess I have to get sound working in an emulator, somehow ..
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

I will release V1.02 of Wave soon which will consist mainly of bug fixes to the music compiler.

I am also adding a fast printer feature that allows Emulation users to dump the compiled music file to the Printer file in an xa compliant format that Chema can directly use.

Chema, i am sure your aware that for a second tune it is only neccesary to point the existing tunes play routine at the new tunes base address.
This means there is no need to duplicate the player code.

It also opens up the possibility of having a music player with lots of tunes that can be selected and played although the current way it compiles patterns is a bit inefficient. :{P
ibisum wrote:I'm definitely interested, I just need some way to get WAVE 1 on my ATMOS and so on ..
Unfortunately Wave 1.0 does not support saving and loading files from Cassette (the flat music file associated to Wave is 26K which would take ages to save/load on a real tape).
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

You can now download V1.02 of Wave here..

http://wiki.defence-force.org/doku.php? ... :wave:main

Have fun