Willy

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

Willy

Post by Symoon »

Hi guys,

Did anyone here ever played the game "Willy", from Oric France?
I never managed to finish the 1st level, but maybe I miss something as I don't have instructions.

I've put the game to this (very) temporary place:
http://mercenarysite.free.fr/oric/willy.tap
(should upload it some day to Oric.org).
jede
Flying Officer

Re: Willy

Post by jede »

Symoon wrote:Hi guys,

Did anyone here ever played the game "Willy"
Hi,

If twilighte reads this sentence, i think he will laugh ... :) It reminds me a ceo meeting, when Twilighte explains something about Willy :)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Nice to hear you are still alive Jede, but yes i do remember Willy. I also remember that it was always on a non standard disk which made it nye impossible to transfer. Nice to see you've finally done it Symoon. Unless i have missed something. Its a multiload, right?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well I haven't done much, I was sent a WAV file which I just converted to TAP. 3 parts, mister Twilighte!
Hope it's not a bugged version, because I still have absolutely no idea how to play :?
I guess you have to grab the hook or something...
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Oh hang on, i think there were two games called Willy. One much older game and the last Loriciels game? or at least i seem to recall it was some software house's last production for the Oric.
Willy (the game i am thinking of) is where you start in a cave system, and as you progress so the walls and ceilings collapse revealing new passage ways to the flowers (sounds like the same drug induced stuff as zebulon was). Anyway i found the first level nye impossible to finish and only managed on a few occasions to reach the second screen where your faced with some sort of buzzard flying over and you must make a leap to faith to be carried accross the rivine by it. All very silly stuff. :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Twilighte wrote:Oh hang on, i think there were two games called Willy. One much older game and the last Loriciels game? or at least i seem to recall it was some software house's last production for the Oric
According to The Story So Far, it was the last Oric International (ie Oric in France) release. There are caves and flower indeed, and I'm stuck to the first level, worse than you lol.
Could it be even more "the-right-pixel-at-the-right-time" than Damsel In Distress?
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Could it be even more "the-right-pixel-at-the-right-time" than Damsel In Distress?
hahahaha
No less so but it is more "the right direction at the right time" sort of game with no going back if you make a mistake. :evil:
Play Zebulon instead Symoon, it is much more fun and still supports the psychadelic flower collecting drug induced frenzy type idea. :?
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

I also am stuck on the first level. It seems impossible to grab hold of the hook, I've tried everything imaginable but to no avail. I can't help but think this version is bugged (maybe it's some kind of copy protection from when the game was transfered from disk to tape?).
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I have copies of the inlays. It was sold by CEO, if it's the game I think you mean. The instructions are as follows.

"Help Willy to rescue his six baby bears who are lost in the caverns.

Use the left and right cursor keys for direction and the space bar to jump."

That's all.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Dave3622 wrote:I can't help but think this version is bugged (maybe it's some kind of copy protection from when the game was transfered from disk to tape?).
I was sure Willy had copy protection. I remember playing it on the real oric and trying to DIR the disk and got errors. I remember trying under RANDOS and Sedoric.

But to be sure potentially a true classic game on the Oric that was sadly let down by its impossible difficulty level (just like Damsel in Distress).
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

And the name in the title refers to Miner Willy of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy fame on which the game was supposedly based.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ooooh Steve, I'd be very interested in having a scan of the inlay if possible :P

BTW since then André and Thierry sent me a .DSK file supposed to work fine.
it seems similar to the TAP file we had. So my guess is that I'm a too bad player to grab the hook ;)
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

dave3622 wrote:I also am stuck on the first level. It seems impossible to grab hold of the hook, I've tried everything imaginable but to no avail. I can't help but think this version is bugged (maybe it's some kind of copy protection from when the game was transfered from disk to tape?).
Oops, sussed it now so that previous comment wasn't entirely accurate :oops:

To catch the hook you simply need to take a running jump at it from the middle platform. It's incredibly easy once you know what you're doing.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

You mean the on in the middle of the screen? I've tried a few times. Got my paw right in the middle, but it didn't catch hold. Got my paw to the right side of the hook thing but it still didn't catch.

Do you have to jump in the same direction as the thing is moving?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Do you have to jump in the same direction as the thing is moving?
Yes you do, and I think the secret to catch it is to remove your fingers from the keys once you've started jumping. I think keeping them pressed prevents Willy from grabbing the hook.