Space 1999 - players area

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

Space 1999 - players area

Post by Symoon »

Hi !

So, is anyone playing Space 1999?

I gave it a try today. Found Helena, the password to the quarantine area, but I'm blocked by a stupid unpowered ZX81 :lol:

Didn't find how to activate it yet!
Chema
Game master

Re: Space 1999 - players area

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote:Hi !

So, is anyone playing Space 1999?

I gave it a try today. Found Helena, the password to the quarantine area, but I'm blocked by a stupid unpowered ZX81 :lol:

Didn't find how to activate it yet!
Great! Someone playing it!

Oh well... just one day... Maybe don't want me to spoil the plot. If you really want me to end up with the fun of discovering yourself, just let me know... :)

It is not difficult, anyway.

Cheers!
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

to activate the zx81 you first need to find the blue-tak and apply it to the rampack.
;)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Got the battery, you're right it wasn't that far away !
I'm now controlling Elena, and have found the machine to make the cure, but it's out of order, too!
Grrr :wink:
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote:Got the battery, you're right it wasn't that far away !
I'm now controlling Elena, and have found the machine to make the cure, but it's out of order, too!
Grrr :wink:
Yeah, welll you know you can't trust this new tech thingies... In addition there has been quite an overpowering with the energy field, so it is a miracle electronic equipment is still working... more or less.

:)

The game itself is quite easy, so good luck!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Any advances Symoon?

I am quite interested in your oppinion...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hi Chema,

Sorry but I didn't have time to play recently.
I'm late on all my Oric projects, feels like there's less and less time as we are getting older... :roll:

I'll post here when I've made some progress :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well, I found how to fix the machine, but too late, Sandra Benes dies.
I wasted some time in the control room trying to fix power or something, then saved, now I have to start it all over again :twisted:

Maybe several slots to save the game would be useful - but would make the game too easy?

The design is really great. Found something: it seems the doors don't open when trying to cross them by walking backwards.
No moonwalk in space? ;)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote:Well, I found how to fix the machine, but too late, Sandra Benes dies.
I wasted some time in the control room trying to fix power or something, then saved, now I have to start it all over again :twisted:

Maybe several slots to save the game would be useful - but would make the game too easy?

The design is really great. Found something: it seems the doors don't open when trying to cross them by walking backwards.
No moonwalk in space? ;)
Well there is a trick to keep several different saved slots. Just before pressing the key to save the game swap to another disk. Once it is saved and you asked to press a key, put the original one. You can have many savepoints this way, and it is quite easy to do in Euphoric.

This limitation to one saved game is something I would like to have fixed. It is possible (and not so complicated) to do, by just keeping a table at a fixed sector with links between a given description or text and a sector where the saved slot is. Just thought about doing it at the end of the game and never did...

The game is rather easy as it is and it is more an essay about what could be done with the Iso Engine and some other ideas than a *real* game... even if it nearly seems the latter... :)

About doors not opening when walking backwards it is intentional. It looked somewhat natural to me and prevented some nasty lateral effects :twisted:

Just get on with your feedback, please.... Did you like the intro? Dbug made an excellent job and Twilighte's music is fantastic.

Cheers
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Chema wrote:Well there is a trick to keep several different saved slots. Just before pressing the key to save the game swap to another disk.

This limitation to one saved game is something I would like to have fixed. It is possible (and not so complicated) to do, by just keeping a table at a fixed sector with links between a given description or text and a sector where the saved slot is.

About doors not opening when walking backwards it is intentional. It looked somewhat natural to me and prevented some nasty lateral effects :twisted:

Just get on with your feedback, please.... Did you like the intro? Dbug made an excellent job and Twilighte's music is fantastic.
In Mercenary games on Atari, there was a simple way to save games: press the key to save the game, then press a key between 0 and 9. Same for loading: press the "load" key, then the number between 0 and 9. So you were allowed 10 saved games, no description or anything, it was up to you to remember what game you save. This was very efficient though, and I think minimalist if you ever intend to implement a multi-slot savegame.
In the meantime, I actually copy the DSK file when I want to keep certain saved games :)

Ok for the walking backwards - I just thought this might have been a bug, so good news it's not !

Yes the intro is very good. As I never watched Space 99 myself, I think I probably miss cultural references to find it moving ! But I recall, when we showed the game last winter with Twilighte, at the French meeting, a few guys did know Space 99 and said "excellent" with a smile when the intro ended. Good job :)

Ok I will try t o find a moment to carry on. So far, once Benes saved, I'm wandering around to be more familiar with the locations (and trying to find the elements to build the circuit ;)

Other players, where are you?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote: In Mercenary games on Atari, there was a simple way to save games: press the key to save the game, then press a key between 0 and 9. Same for loading: press the "load" key, then the number between 0 and 9. So you were allowed 10 saved games, no description or anything, it was up to you to remember what game you save. This was very efficient though, and I think minimalist if you ever intend to implement a multi-slot savegame.
Yep. That was my first alternative. In fact I just can't see why I did not include something like that... Well, something to do for the next game :)
Yes the intro is very good. As I never watched Space 99 myself, I think I probably miss cultural references to find it moving ! But I recall, when we showed the game last winter with Twilighte, at the French meeting, a few guys did know Space 99 and said "excellent" with a smile when the intro ended. Good job :)
Dbug's work was quite impressive, and Twilighte's music is great. If you want to see the original intro of the series, there is a video on oricgames. Of course it goes at a much faster pace, but I think the spirit is well kept.
Ok I will try t o find a moment to carry on. So far, once Benes saved, I'm wandering around to be more familiar with the locations (and trying to find the elements to build the circuit ;)
That shouldn't be too difficult... except for one or two small puzzles. If you found the info about the circuit and components, there are some kind of acronyms to indicate where elements can be located. Just let me know if you have any trouble or get stuck somewhere... even if you are doing very well till now... :)

I am quite proud of several small details on the game, how you can drop objects on top on other objects (try to get the one in the bottom of the pile), how the hero moves lateraly when hitting an obstacle to help playability, the overall atmosphere, the quite big amount of text, how some interactions were resolved (other characters allways remember you what you are supposed to do, the system tries to figure out what you intend to do when hitting CTRL by the context if possible...)...

Most are hardly noticeable, others were not included on the final game (like pushing objects, it created dozens of playability problems), but I am quite happy with the final result. The engine is quite usable and powerful.
Other players, where are you?
:cry: As you can see not many people currently play these games. We are a small community and not everyone can really spend time on playing. Anyway it is very motivating to see at least one person!

In fact the beta testers played it aswell, so I am very happy!

Cheers.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

A friend of mine (oldschool but not oric owner) installed Euphoric to play the game, and said that the lateral gliding when colliding was incredibly great, and that he always did miss that when he played similar games on the Amstrad CPC.

He really likes it :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote:A friend of mine (oldschool but not oric owner) installed Euphoric to play the game, and said that the lateral gliding when colliding was incredibly great, and that he always did miss that when he played similar games on the Amstrad CPC.

He really likes it :)
:) It was you who suggested this addition, if I am right :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

One more announce. I managed to create a video with the DosBox capture option and uploaded it to youtube.

It is just the intro, and the sound is quite distorted, probably due to my hardware. You can watch it at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4mjkt76dtM

I want to prepare another with a bit of gameplay, demonstrating some of the game's capabilities, but cannot get Windows Movie Maker to create the video...

Will try again another day.

Cheers.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Hello,

Does the game run under telestrat ? and does this game runs with telestrat Joystick ?

Thanks