Trouble In Store

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

Trouble In Store

Post by Symoon »

Hi,
I'm looking for a nice audio recording (ideally 8 bits, 44kHz stereo WAV file) of the original game Trouble in Store.

Would anyone have this... in store? ;)
Got the original tape but the recording is almost dead...
Thanks!

PS: I'm not interested in audio of copies ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Trouble In Store

Post by Dbug »

I'm going to give a shot, just the time for the game to load :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

You're a star, thanks a lot!
Downloading ;)
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

Symoon wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:02 pm Hi,
I'm looking for a nice audio recording (ideally 8 bits, 44kHz stereo WAV file) of the original game Trouble in Store.
Oh, I thought you meant the music track! "Coney Island Cakewalk", as I recall ...

<distorted-voice-fx>"Whoops!" :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ha ha, no, I was looking for the program itself!

That being said, Dbug's recording doesn't load here. Bad luck or could Orpheus have recorded their tapes really badly?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:29 pm That being said, Dbug's recording doesn't load here. Bad luck or could Orpheus have recorded their tapes really badly?
I assume that you only kept the right audio track?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:43 pm I assume that you only kept the right audio track?
Sure. Tried both actually, 1st with transfer tools, then with a few tries to modify the signal, finally tried loading on an Atmos.

(that being said, I'm not giving up. The data is here and with some time, who knows).
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

Seeing as your existing WAV didn't work out, I went looking for the cassette for this -- because I know it has to be around here somewhere. Sadly, I cannot find it amongst other Oric and Enterprise-64 tapes, and that's got me puzzled as to where it's gone. It has to exist, I remember playing it, and have the audio of the game music!

As I recall, it was the first time that sampled audio ("Harridges" and "Whoops!") was played on Oric: A technique Geoff Philips wrote about in his Machine Code book for the Oric.

I only found a non-original tape, with a hand written note "Trouble in Store #400 section nobbled" ... not sure if that's a modified version to prevent autorun/auto destruct on reset. It's possible that TIS had a pre-loader programme that went into #400 that chained on the main program, and it set up the security (remapping reset vectors?)

That's going to bother me now :(
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ah, I know the feeling; hope you find it soon. Lost a tape years ago before I knew the Internet and clubs existed... I thought the games that were on it were lost forever, and that's probably one of the things that motivated me to try backuping datas from tapes.