Space99 - Development Forum

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

The new vertical title is cool but i have another idea..
You Could put the credits permanently beneath the title, the story in a horizontal scroller in the room name window (with dithering mask on either side) and options/controls in the info window?

The change would mean people would instantly know the controls required, would instantly be able to change game settings at the title and know who coded this hot prog.

It would be monumentous if you could figure out a way to display the current platform level on the screen as a map and at the touch of a key because without it, i got lost so easily.

Let me know any new title you have for the game then i can edit the title graphic with it.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Twilighte wrote:Found a bug!
Go to lift, go to another level but when standing on new level press ESC, this appears to crash the controls though Helena's incesant nag at Koenig keeps on happening.
B also does something ikky.
Yep. You damned testers :)

Will have a look. Something happens with controls, as you said. As you can turn (even if it reacts veeeery slowly).

One more for the buglist :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I think I solved both bugs (the second was quite tricky...)

Continuing the development and bug-hunting.

As soon as I get more feedback I will prepare a beta release so everyone can test :)

Cheers
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Ok guys. The game is (this time) nearly finished!

The intro with music is astonishing and the game is completed (I think). I have revamped the maps and corrected the user manual. So everything is ready for releasing!

I am just waiting for some things that need tweaking. The most important seems to be that there is some trouble running the game on real Orics. Keyboard seems to fail sometimes and also do the disk access routines.

I am unsure what is going on here, but Fabrice is helping in this, so I hope to have a solution soon.

I promise that, as soon as I have some news, I will make the necessary changes and release the game, so you can play!

I hope this to occur before New Year... we will see...

Regards,
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

:D great news !!

happy new year 2008 to this incredible Team:

> Chema, Twilighte, Dbug

the real 3 musketeers of Oric !! :wink:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Compared to the work done by the two others, plus the work done by testers, my contribution is quite modest.

And I miserably failed at doing some graphics under Linux.

I tried Krita, Gimp, GnuPaint, mtPaint, ... depressing.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote:Compared to the work done by the two others, plus the work done by testers, my contribution is quite modest.
You will see their faces when watching the intro and then tell me :)
And I miserably failed at doing some graphics under Linux.

I tried Krita, Gimp, GnuPaint, mtPaint, ... depressing.
Yep. I quite know the feeling...

So that means I won't have better alternatives for the intro?... well then I have a question for all of you.

In fact I did not receive any answer from Fabrice yet about the issues with real Orics (which are my biggest concern now), so I wonder if it could be possitive to have a beta release with the game as it is now (complete with intro, manual and maps), but still with some details that needs fixing or enhancing.

I did not do so yet, because I thought this would decrease interest for future players in the final version.

The name that appears under the logo is still the old name "Out of Memory" which does not represent the plot anymore, but is still quite true, as we run out of memory quickly and had to use overlay and, therefore, a disk-based system.

This could be the name of this beta, and keep it until the final version is released.

What do you think? Do you prefer waiting or have something to see (and hear) now?

Cheers.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

If you release it in this state, just make sure that there is a clear visible version number on the title/bootscreen/disk name.

It will make it easier for people to find out which version they have.

Personally, I'm going back to france for chrismas/new year eve, so from Sunday I will not have any computer at hand - except to check email/forum perhaps once every day - no guarantee.

Will you release one single version with support for multiple language, or one version for English, one version for French ?

Something which is doable, is to release a first "chrismas" teaser version, with the uncomplete game (but with compatible save game format), and in 2008 you release the complete one, with a downloadable artwork for the 3" glass floppy cases, completely translated, eventual bug fixes (oric hardware compatibility fixes, etc...)

So basically a 0.99 version as a Christmas present, and the real version in 2008 :)

All I can say is that you achieved a great work, and impressive dedication !

Chapeau bas monsieur !
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

I saw the entire game: It's fantastic !

It's the most important games news for 2008 !! :D

> YOU ARE MASTERS !!! 8)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I can't wait :P
I deliberately avoided downloading too many beta-versions, to avoid being spoiled, but as long as it works on Euphoric and the only remaining problems are technical ones for real Orics, I vote for a final-beta-release ;)

As Dbug said, as long as a version number allows to identify it's not the 1.00, everything should be fine.

My brother who initially bought an Oric-1 24 years ago will visit us for Christmas, maybe I will be able to show him the game ? :)

Anyway, congratulations to all for all this wonderful work!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote:I can't wait
Ok then here it is:

http://www.defence-force.org/ftp/forum/ ... 9-0.99.zip

Have a look at the readme file.

As a Christmas present here is a beta version (0.99) of the
new Oric game Space:1999 codename "Out of Memory".

There are still a few flaws to solve (mainly to make it work properly on real machines) but I think the game is basicaly complete.

I cannot promise that saved games would be usable under the release version, but I will try to make them so.

I have found that sound is quite worse when run under Euphoric and win XP, (at least in my laptop) than when using VirtualPC+DOS and Euphoric.

Don't know with other configurations.

As soon as the main flaws are solved we will post a release version in
both English and French, which should work on a real Atmos+Microdisc.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the intro still contains some pics that may change if we find something better.

Also the intro (which can be skipped with ESC) launches automatically everytime you boot your Oric with the disk. Subsecuent RESETs (F9) should load the game directly.

I only hope I did not broke anything with the latest changes (one for Fabrice trying to solve the keyboard issue, the printing of the version number in the Alpha Section window at game start and other minor changes).

Let me know your thoughts... When I started this game I was only trying to do a small demo of my isometric engine... but this child grew up too quickly... :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

thanks for this gift :D
i add link in OGC too
an i prepared a presentation test for WORLD Launch !! (visible for members)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hi Chema,

Thanks a lot for the release :)
Forgive the late reply, 2007 ended with sad news from my family and I didn't have much time to reply.

Anyway, the game has been demoed yesterday at the CEO meeting, see the first pictures here:
http://forum.wda-fr.org/viewtopic.php?p=7119

Sadly we didn't have the maps and were really bad: we didn't find the medical wing lol

:D
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote:Forgive the late reply, 2007 ended with sad news from my family and I didn't have much time to reply.
Sorry to hear that. This was not a good year for me neither...

Anyway, the game has been demoed yesterday at the CEO meeting, see the first pictures here:
http://forum.wda-fr.org/viewtopic.php?p=7119

Sadly we didn't have the maps and were really bad: we didn't find the medical wing lol

:D
:lol: And that is the easy part!

Well with maps and/or some practice, the game is quite simple according to beta testers... Not to mention the standards of the 70-80s, where games were really nightmares!

Cheers.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I was wondering about this map thing.

You have all the 'cubes' (rooms) in memory, right ?

Is it not possible in the info post to have an option 'map', showing in miniature the map of the complex, perhaps just drawing interconnected losanges, with a left<->right keys to move through the various cubes, showing the name of the room ?

I guess it's a significant amount of work, but it could probably makes the game a lot more playable for people that cannot print the map.

Just my 0.2 nok suggestion :)

(I can help doing that after I received and installed the new pc !)