Phoenix Engine

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Phoenix Engine

Post by Godzil »

This is currently not game per-se but an engine I started year ago (for a different platform) for graphical novel style games.

It is somewhat inspired by the "Gyakuten Saiban" series of game know in the western work as "Ace Attorney". I was looking to make the engine work on the Oric, and as the engine rely preliminary on graphics, I made some test of rendering on what it could look with the limitation we have on the Oric. Hopefully the bg are not, animated, only some the big sprites shown on top of the BG are animated + the text box that show dialogs.

I've made some test for the BGs and I want your thought about it.

My approch would be to use twi's trick in Wurdle to prevent clash between BG and the sprite. I've tried AIC mode, but unless PictCont from 1.5 OSDK is buggy, the render of the pictures is just awfull.

So for an example with this background:
bg.png
bg.png (22.28 KiB) Viewed 10857 times
A simple "img2oric" convert give this:
bg_f6_o5_d0.png
bg_f6_o5_d0.png (9.67 KiB) Viewed 10857 times
If I use the scanline trick it would give something like this:
bg_blackline_f6_o5_d0.png
bg_blackline_f6_o5_d0.png (4.94 KiB) Viewed 10857 times
The black box bellow would be for the dialog area, the 3 lines of text Hires give to us ^^

Which seems nice to me.

What do you think?

(For those who don't know the Ace attorney game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bERHBN1zZ0Q this is a play of the first chapter of all the games, but be warned don't watch the whole video if you want to play the game as it give all the solution for this chapter :D)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Phoenix Engine

Post by Godzil »

For the curious, the AIC (-f7) mode give me this awfull render:
bg_whiteline_f7_o5_d0.png
bg_whiteline_f7_o5_d0.png (5.74 KiB) Viewed 10855 times
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Godzil, you're as quick as light
I've donwloaded last osdk this morning, i hope i'll have time to try it this week-end.
I think that aic mode is working fine if pics are more compatible than yours. Seems that there are too much details and we have to select the colors on each line to improve the appearence of oric pics. It will be a long way to acquire some experience with it.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

There's been a misunderstanding on what the AIC feature does.

The new AIC mode is not a magic converter that takes a random picture and transforms it into an Oric picture. It's a mode that take a PC picture which is already painted in AIC colors and ENCODES it in something that can be loaded on the Oric by correctly swapping between the two sets of colors and applying the invert video bit.

One example:
Metro station
Metro station
metro_station.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 10841 times
That would also work with screenshots from Mission Impossible, Stormlord or Skooldaze

It's definitely possible to create an equivalent of Img2Oric convert that takes a random picture and converts it to AIC, but I have not yet checked on how that can be done.

Feel free to submit code/methods to perform that.