Old tapes found

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Chema
Game master

Old tapes found

Post by Chema »

Hi guys. This is specially for Symoon (our archiver :) )

I found my old Oric tapes yesterday. I am unsure about their state; I'm afraid they were not stored in the best condition, so I don't know if they will be usable. Most of them are games you can find in Oric.org (Zorgon's Revenge, for instance), so I don't care much, but I also have a couple which could be of (relative) interest.

I have a Spanish version of Le Rendez-vous the la Terreur. I remember it was painfully translated and it was also buggy (the command "VIE" was not translated and it gave you your life points for an instant and then teleported you to another room - can't remember which one). Anyway maybe it could be of interest for preserving.

I also have a Tansoft tape of the first version of their chess game (awful, by the way), but it is called "Ajedrez" (in Spanish). I don't remember if the game itself was translated or just the name on the box.

Another one is Mission Delta, and again I can't remember if it is translated to Spanish.

Finally I have a copy (not the original) of a copier I used back in those days to copy tape programs. Nothing fancy, but useful as long as the program is not too big (Zoolympics could not be copied).

I couldn't find a copy of a program named Quimoric or Quimioric that I remember seeing and which was aimed to teach Chemistry using an Oric. Too bad, because I could not find it anywhere.

Now the thing is that I think I could get my old tape player and try to load or sample these programs with my PC; Not sure about the process (recording, wavclean, wav2tap) and even if I will be able to do so. Maybe I could give them to Symoon so he can try to extract the content if interested.

I will check if there is anything else of interest inside the tapes.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Old tapes found

Post by Symoon »

Hi Chema,
If you can lend me the tapes (I'll send them back to you), I'll hapily transfer and scan them.
Just maybe need a few weeks / months because I'm totally busy with work and will only be able to work on it a couple of hours every 15 days, but will do indeed as priority 1 ;)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I can send you the tapes, of course. Give me some time, because if possible I'd love to try to convert them myself.

Just drop me a line if I don't get back to you in a couple of weeks :)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hello Chema,

Good news. I'll be very fun to discover these versions of oric software.
I tried to recover some k7 of code / crack i've done 30 years ago a month ago, but i didn't have time to do more than recording on audacity stereo 96 khz my k7.

So keep us informed on your process, i'll copy it to recover my tap.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Chema wrote:I can send you the tapes, of course. Give me some time, because if possible I'd love to try to convert them myself.

Just drop me a line if I don't get back to you in a couple of weeks :)
You write me ;)
Anytime ;)
I'm just quite too much busy to remember anything these days lol
musepat
2nd Star Corporal

Post by musepat »

I've made some transferts from my tapes and I cand give you them (see the file liste.txt).
For each tape there is a .wav, .tap, some screenshots, sometimes an url of oric.org.
I continue to read my old tapes...
Attachments
liste.zip
(3.67 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Symoon wrote: You write me ;)
Anytime ;)
I'm just quite too much busy to remember anything these days lol
Same here... I keep forgetting everything lately, that is why I asked you to remember me :) Well, I will try :)

Need to find my old tape player first. Which is the best method to digitize the signal in the PC? Sampling it at the highest quality possible? Is there a way to check if data is being correctly acquired? I suppose I will need to adjust the player head...

Cheers.
musepat
2nd Star Corporal

Post by musepat »

Hi Chema,
First, I read the tape on my real Oric.
Than I make a csave to my PC.
I use Goldwave because I had problems with Audacity (44100MHZ, mono)
The .wav is good, so I user wavclean an wav2tap ton convert it in .tap
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Thanks for your help guys. First attempt was unsuccessful, though. My old tape player seems dead. I tried cleaning everything and even change one of the elastic bands, but still it does not keep a constant speed and even stops being able to move the tape often.

So, I will need to get another player. I have somewhere a radio cassette, but I am not sure it will work. I remember the Oric was quite picky with those kind of players.
musepat
2nd Star Corporal

Post by musepat »

Hi,
Here are some .tap : http://dl.free.fr/getfile.pl?file=/hOT1gQKF

Chema : If you want, I can read your tapes, you justa have to send them to me in France, and I'll send them back.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

@musepat: "...some .tap" ... 670MB :) ... Great collection indeed and thanks for sharing!
musepat
2nd Star Corporal

Post by musepat »

iss wrote:@musepat: "...some .tap" ... 670MB :) ... Great collection indeed and thanks for sharing!
:lol: you're welcome.

And I didn't finished to read all my tapes !!
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Wow musepat, that's an amazing collection of TAPS, many I have never seen before. Would you object if I added the new games to my Oric Gamebase? I've not worked on it for a while but am beginning to feel motivated again. :D
musepat
2nd Star Corporal

Post by musepat »

dave3622 wrote:Wow musepat, that's an amazing collection of TAPS, many I have never seen before. Would you object if I added the new games to my Oric Gamebase? I've not worked on it for a while but am beginning to feel motivated again. :D
Of course you can, you must :D
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

And musepat software will be saved on oric.org database.
I've updated 3 softs today.

Thanks for the oric community.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga