HNEFATAFL ONLINE

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

HNEFATAFL ONLINE

Post by barnsey123 »

Hi Guys,

Below is latest version of HNEFATAFL ONLINE with some changes to the game text to make things a little smoother and more colorful.

TAPE:
HNEFATAFL-ONLINE.tap
v1.0 TAPE
(31.99 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
For online play you have to decide who is the SERVER and who is the CLIENT (and ignore any menu options for "NULL MODEM" just use the MODEM/LAN/INTERNET settings.

DISK: (for TESTING ONLY)
HNEFATAFL-ONLINE.DSK
v1.0 DISK
(131.5 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
The disk version still doesn't work properly but to get it NEARLY work in Oricutron you need load it first, then set HARDWARE->SERIAL->MODEM then RESET. The next screens all work OK up to "COMMS SELECT". Don't know why. Bug in oricutron?

NOTE: Emulator wise you will need the latest Oricutron (I'm using Rev 626) which you will probably need to compile yourself (the 1.1 version does not support serial->IP by the looks of it).

If running on REAL ORIC you will probably need a serial->IP adapter like the following (UNTESTED). Anyone got one of these or similar? I'm really tempted to get one just to see if it works...

http://www.perle.com/products/Serial-IP ... tAodNzAAGw

@Hialmar, any news on the internet access at VieuMikro? (have got ISS interested in playing) EDIT: Just got your PM will get back to you ASAP
Chema
Game master

Re: HNEFATAFL ONLINE

Post by Chema »

Great! Well done!
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Thanks for update!
I'll be waiting on Sunday to be connected from VieuMikro (as discussed per PM).
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Sadly we have no Internet connection at VM.

I wanted to play through my mobile phone data connection (using the phone as modem) but we need someone with a public IP on the other end (or a NATted port) and Barnsey123 cannot modify his router.

I have tried to setup my home Mac so that it creates a VPN where Barnsey and I could connect but I didn't manage to do it on the last version of OS X.

So this will have to wait for later.

About the disk, I have corrected the problem in oricutron but haven't uploaded the patch so far.
There is a workaround though, you just need to re-enable the serial-modem in the Hardware menu. It gets disabled when the Oric emulation is reset when you switch from a normal Atmos to a Atmos+Microdisc system.
Yet another solution is to start on the disk image with a command line as described by iss on this message: http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... 498#p11498
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

@hialmar, ok no worries and thanks for looking at the oricutron issue.

We need an oric VPN system somewhere...DBug?
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Played for first time online over internet today (me vs iss).

Iss found a possible bug in Linux oricutron (screen goes black after restoring from minimized), this stalled play for a while but iss found a workround.

There is a bug in the game where from the Client POV (playing as the attacker) if the opponent king returns to the central square (or THRONE) it stays highlighted in the inverse colors (white/red) which caused me some confusion. Shouldn't be too hard to fix but no time today.

I was surprised as how easy it was to connect and play (using skype IM to co-ordinate things). The game is very different when playing against a human! :)
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Latest version of the disk build which fixes the "hanging" issue. Thanks to ISS for finding the fix.

I've tested the tape version playing against the disk version and it all seems to work OK. (oricutron Rev 634)

There are no other changes just yet. In the real world, there are several variants of the rules (e.g. Fetlar, Copenhagen etc). We are using special ORIK rules (which are simpler to learn and code). This is not a cheat as numerous variants exist (the original rules have been lost to time). I hope to make a version of this online game so that the players can select different rulesets. This way, players can practice for the world championships using oric computers... :D

http://www.fetlar.org/hnefatafl-world-championship
HNEFATAFL-ONLINE.DSK
(131.5 KiB) Downloaded 704 times