MOON ADVENTURE

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

MOON ADVENTURE

Post by barnsey123 »

I Haven't thought up a name for this yet but this will be a disk-based game set on the moon. I've got to learn about how to do the disk-based stuff but for starters here is an example of the sort of images I hope to include (overlaid on this will be metrics like oxygen levels, water, a radar thing and other stuff) .
The text area will ask you questions and give you choices.

I'm hoping to include a new Oric Drop Down menu system so that you can load/save games and access other parts of the game (e.g. inventories and other stuff)

I also want to learn how to do music and sound effects.

I think that their will be a central game engine and then a number of chapters released over the course of the next few years (your character and any inventories can be saved and loaded into the next chapter providing continuity for some time to come).
manonmoon.tap
http://fti.neep.wisc.edu/neep602/LEC1/trip.htm
(7.08 KiB) Downloaded 861 times
Anyway...enough guff...I've got a headache...2014 awaits
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: MOON ADVENTURE

Post by Dbug »

barnsey123 wrote:I Haven't thought up a name for this yet but this will be a disk-based game set on the moon.
Hmm, disk-based game set on the moon... what about Space:1999 :D
barnsey123 wrote:I've got to learn about how to do the disk-based stuff but for starters here is an example of the sort of images I hope to include (overlaid on this will be metrics like oxygen levels, water, a radar thing and other stuff) .
Hopefully you should be able to use my floppybuilder/loader system for that, will be released 'soon'.
barnsey123 wrote:The text area will ask you questions and give you choices.
Don't forget that you can have other splits for HIRES/TEXT, you are not obliged to have the full 200 lines of HIRES and just three lines of TEXT, you can use half HIRES and half TEXT (or other splits).

Good luck :)
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Have started creating some graphics for the game. The working title is Tycho Blue

Hope to be able to release a playable demo or at least some screenshots in the next few weeks. The Cumulus's arrival has been quite timely... :D

Still so much to learn though...
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Some pics
Skylon carrying Agent Blue refuels and picks up "the package" before heading for the Moon.
Skylon carrying Agent Blue refuels and picks up "the package" before heading for the Moon.
Skylon-refueling.png (17.51 KiB) Viewed 22985 times
That's me by the way!
That's me by the way!
Rebel-Commander.png (14.49 KiB) Viewed 22985 times
where most the action takes place...
where most the action takes place...
tycho-crater-false-color.png (18.58 KiB) Viewed 22985 times
Ah well, it's something to do...it keeps me off the streets and annoys the missus... :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Wow, I think I see where you are going with this .. and with the near-unlimited power that Cumulus is giving us, I think I will see a *lot* of where you're going with this .. ;)
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Construction of Badass-MoFo:
Looking Baaad
Looking Baaad
badass-mofo-1.png (16.41 KiB) Viewed 22948 times
Getting badder...
Getting badder...
badass-mofo-2.png (18.84 KiB) Viewed 22948 times
Sick!
Sick!
badass-mofo-3.png (20.71 KiB) Viewed 22948 times
I having so much fun... :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

It still blows my mind that the Oric is (still) being coerced into producing such quality graphics ... ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

You may want to try Img2Oric as well, it tends to give much better results than PictConv on conversions.

(I got the authorization of the author to integrate it inside PictConv as an additional conversion method, may happen "soon").
vrozos
Officer Cadet

Post by vrozos »

For image conversion check here too:

http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopi ... view=print

V.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Dbug wrote:You may want to try Img2Oric as well, it tends to give much better results than PictConv on conversions.

(I got the authorization of the author to integrate it inside PictConv as an additional conversion method, may happen "soon").
Haven't heard of Img2Oric...I'll have a play with that when I get time, integration with PictConv would be ideal. I played with pipi a while back, I can't remember why I stopped using it.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Img2Oric is from the same author as LibPipi, so same algorithm :)
Yeah, give a shot at LibPipi, it tends to give a better result on photos.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Have downloaded ThePimp again (using PIPI.exe in the BIN directory) and the results are excellent...

See below (sorry for large size of image but it helps to do a side-by-side comparison)

Obviously, PIMP brings out more detail (look at the visor reflections!) but somehow I prefer the PictConv image of Mofo B'Dass (look like you're viewing it on some form of monitor). The Skylon image shows the our Earth up pretty well.

The Rebel Commander image in a previous post used Pictconv with no dither (-d0) and I prefer that to the much more detailed (-d1) or PIMP images. Less is sometimes more (more detail just shows my kitchen door handle which not only spoils the illusion for me but picks it up, throws it on the floor and craps on it!). The no-dither image could be anywhere...in this case, some underground moon base...there's also a comic book quality to it which I like. The PIMP's --blur option makes that particular image quite sinister (like you're waking up from a bad beating and can't focus properly on your assailant...)

The C source code is on the site http://caca.zoy.org/wiki/libpipi/oric and the terms of use are quite refreshing: "DO WHAT THE F*CK YOU WANT TO!" :D

@dbug, maybe you can include both PIPI and IMG2ORIC into PictConv? It'd be really useful to have only one program to use...(on bended knees here...)
Top: Pictconv using -f2 -d1<br />Bottom: Pipi (native, no qualifiers)
Top: Pictconv using -f2 -d1
Bottom: Pipi (native, no qualifiers)
PictConv-vs-PIMP.png (60.92 KiB) Viewed 22879 times
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Well, technically there's not supposed to be any difference between LibPipi and Img2Oric as far as the conversion goes.
LibPipi adds things like the rescaling and rotation, but it's not something I wish to bring in from there, should be a generic option that works for all the formats.

But yeah it will probably be integrated in PictConv, which has now a nice option: It can check the timestamp of the file before processing it.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Dbug wrote:Well, technically there's not supposed to be any difference between LibPipi and Img2Oric as far as the conversion goes.
LibPipi adds things like the rescaling and rotation, but it's not something I wish to bring in from there, should be a generic option that works for all the formats.

But yeah it will probably be integrated in PictConv, which has now a nice option: It can check the timestamp of the file before processing it.
Yup, we don't need rotation etc (best done in Gimp IMO). Conversion in Pipi does take a little while though so I wonder if img2oric might be faster if it hasn't got the redundant features of Pipi. New thread?

The game ideas are flowing thick and fast...I've started to learn Unity3d so I'm spread very thinly at the moment.

BTW, to avoid any copyright issues (the mofo image is scanned from an old book of mine) I'm going to check with the publisher, I think they are still around...there is a tenuous link with the oric, the book (Foxbat by Peter Cave) was a fave of mine...I read it at least 6 times...I bought a plastic book cover for it...a few years later the oric arrived...I removed the plastic cover and put it on the oric manual. Funny how things are connected. Is anyone still awake? :D
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Just my 2 cents: I much, much prefer the last sceens compared to the "RGB" ones. I recall when trying RGB picture on a real Oric / monitor, it really felt ugly, because the picture was too large to produce the color mixing effect.