Best Text screen editor

The Oric video chip is not an easy beast to master, so any trick or method that allows to achieve nice visual results is welcome. Don't hesitate to comment (nicely) other people tricks and pictures :)
Twilighte
Game master

Best Text screen editor

Post by Twilighte »

Chema seems to be using HIDE quite alot so i thought i might also advertise a little utility i wrote about 20 years ago called CD (also called Editor3 or CD2). Unlike the name it is a Text Screen Editor and gives full control over all parts of the screen including the status line.
You can plot, set colour attributes and even edit character definitions on screen.

The character designer places a pixel on the character you are over and you can freelly move it through adjacent characters redesigning the letters or graphics as u go.

It also has the standard file menu pressing ESC to enter and ESC again to return to editor.

You can get it here..

http://www.defence-force.org/ftp/forum/ ... cd/cd2.tap

Its all in basic (apart from a bit of mc in the basic code) so you can freelly save it on to Disk.
Unfortunately it isn't in oric.org software catalogue, don't know why.
However you can get the instructions(pdf) here..

http://www.defence-force.org/ftp/forum/ ... cd/cd2.pdf
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I got a syntax error in 1060 when running the program, but I suspect it requires a Sedoric environment !

There are still lots of programs missing in the oric.org database, because it's not easy knowing everything that was released for Oric. That probably includes some of your programs, Twilighte ;)
I discover about 10 programs missing there every year, and lack of time to update. BTW, do you have more information about CD2 ? (author, editor ?)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

I wrote CD and CD2 eons ago. I still use it by choice whenever designing Text screen (Last used it to design Wave music editor).

I have a manual somewhere and will possibly pass it to whomever wants it at CEO tomorrow.

If it requires Sedoric its probably only for the ACCENT OFF and MOVE commands and relatively easy to change.
However unless your familiar with it it can seem completely unwielding to the beginner since nothing really seems to happen when you start.
However because it allows character designing in situ it has proved extremely useful to me.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

This looks like a really nice tool, thanks for informing us about it!

On the "old programs getting lost" subject, I remember back in the day I used to have a "Utilities" Tape for my Oric-1, which had a bunch of general-purpose programming/hacking utils for the Oric .. there was something on there that I found very useful, an "!OLD" command, that was the opposite of NEW - it would recover the BASIC app that is lost when you submit a NEW .. does anyone have that? I find myself wishing I could use it now and then when my 3-year old gets hold of the ATMOS .. ;)

And what about other tools/utils like this .. a lot of that stuff (for me) came from magazines that are long lost ..
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

For OLD, Sedoric has this command built in. I think there is a short routine somewhere that permits cassette users to do the same thing, Symoon may be your best man to answer that.